Old 03-11-16, 05:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon98
I got this 1986 Schwinn Peloton frame from @wrk101 in a horse trade. It's a 25"er made of SL and SP, brazed by Panasonic in Japan.

Parts mix was some recycling but a lot of it was purchased just for the build.

Front to back:
-Craigslist Shimano RS20 Wheelset with 10s peed cassette and Schwalbe Lugano 23c tires. Appear to be takeoffs from a Cannondale Synapse. Easily as fat as most 25's. I'll see how they compare to my beloved Gatorskin Contis.
-Tektro interchangeable model dual pivots fitted with Koolstop pads
-Jagwire cable kit
-Origin 8 quill adapter, Titec Hellbent Stem (120, 0 degree), and the wonderful but now discontinued IRD Blackbird Comp handlebars. Origin8 twintape, 105 5700 series STI shifters
-Cinelli Vai seatpost holding up a Kore Retrobu (Turbo clone) saddle
-FSA Gossamer 50/34 crankset
-Microshift "White" derailleur set. 100 percent Shimano compatible.
-My original Look PP66 pedals from Walt's Bike Shop back in college. They've been regreased and been through a few sets of cleats since 1990 but they're STILL the gold standard in clipless pedals.

It came in at 22.5 lbs, which is quite respectable given the size of the frame an that I made no weight-weenie parts choices. As a Clyde, I go for durability over minimal gram count.

Verdict: Fast and neutral handling. I normally ride a 60-61, so this is slightly big and or "French Fit" but the shorter top tube of the 80's Schwinns ends up giving me a fit very similar to my 60cm 2000 Reynolds 853 Peloton.

Nice. How do you like the microshift group?