Old 03-12-16, 02:44 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Stein
Hi DQR- Yes, it is an Eastman. I have owned several Tourists DL-1s. These ride nicely but are single speed and are not finished very nicely. Paint and build not up to Raleigh standards. Oxidation and Rattles!!!!!! Threads strip easy. Still fun and attractive. I love the 28" wheel feel. If you find one cheap buy it. This one was $100 with the nice velo orange seat post and saddle.
Have fun!
JS
Hi Uncle Stein. I actually bought a 1971 DL-1 at a garage sale last summer. I've told this story before, in another thread, so here is the short version: Bought it rusty and neglected for $30; fenders were shot, the chainguard barely salvageable, both wheels were rusty, and there were several broken or bent spokes. But the tubes and fork were straight and solid. So I started doing some research, became fascinated, built a bicycle shop in my garage so I could restore it as a winter project, and emerged with this:

[IMG][/IMG]

I sent the rear wheel and hub to Yellow Jersey to be rebuilt; I wasn't quite ready for that. But I built and trued the front wheel myself, replaced and repacked all bearings (that cottered-crank was an interesting challenge), repainted the chainguard, and replaced the fenders with some K&W pieces that Yellow Jersey imports from India. Added some Brooks magic and some other goodies, and now we are all signed-up and ready for the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour in May.

I've just returned from about 20 miles along the Mississippi River Trails on the distinguished old Roadster, and I know what you mean about that ride - there's nothing in my experience like it.