Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
This brings me to another point/question:

Power is a mathematical combination of Torque and Cadence. I wonder, would it be more useful if we trained (and paced) using the raw Torque values?

So, instead of a pursuiter thinking, "I need to maintain X watts for the next 4 laps..." maybe "I need to average Y Newton-meters of torque for the next 4 laps..."

The reason I say torque over Power is that for a given average speed, the cadence will change if you adjust the gearing, and therefore the product that is Power.

uhhh.... may have already happened?
I never looked at my head unit while training- I'm not nearly good enough to keep an eye on the screen while also holding the line I wanted around the track.... but in terms of looking at torque after the workouts and backing out gearing & pacing - yeah, that absolutely happens.

generally related to this thread and another thread currently going on over in road racing - I got to wondering...
"has anyone ever done a study of effective leg length as % of height? in professional cyclists, parsed by speciality?"
you know, lever length being a critical component of position and generation of torque over durations.

If that exists, I'd love see any data that came out of it - you know, for "reasons"

And I avoided getting into this thread earlier, but as a ex-pursuit-dude, having a PM helped me A TON, for training, yeah.
but also, it did all the following: tracked training effort through periodization, is a "free" (ignore sunk costs) wind tunnel" gave specific feedback on selecting crank length for pursuits, and in one thing that I never actually got dialed in - I *think* use of a PM will assist in determining "ideal line" around any given velodrome- because depending on your speed following the black line isn't necessarily the "fastest" line and all velodromes are a different shape ..... but I never got that all the way sorted out, I bet my old coach has figured it out by now, but I haven't talked with him in a while.