View Single Post
Old 03-13-16, 06:09 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GT Tachyon
Will I notice a difference (less) in rolling resistance?

Will it handle any better or worse?
This is very subjective, and not everyone will have the same results. Some folks could really tell if their air pressure was off a few psi, sometimes I can't tell the difference between a Prestige frame feeling and a True Temper.

if you are asking whether or not you can feel a difference (not if there is a difference), maybe - maybe not. I have a similar situation but with different brand: 1 1/4" Pasela and 1 1/8" Pasela tires. I personally cannot tell a difference in rolling resistance, even over a bit of range of air pressure. Mind you that there is a difference, it is just very hard to perceive. A 1% change in effort is hard for the body to perceive, though a powermeter or perhaps stopwatch over a long ride could tell even if you can't. What you are much more likely to perceive is ride quality. I can tell the difference in ride quality between my 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 Pasela tires. The 1 1/4 tires are definitely smoother feeling. The difference is more apparent the harsher the conditions, such as the dirt/gravel road a couple miles from my house. I cant tell on smooth pavement though unless I hit a rough spot. Also in the loose gravel and stuff the wider tires hold their line better while the thinner ones tend to bounce around and deflect, but this is likely less of an issue on just pavement. Just my $0.02