Old 03-14-16, 08:37 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by elbowging
Hello all,

After doing research of my own on this very question, I stumbled across this thread and I'm now curious about whether DQRider found the MicroShift SL-N08 to be a suitable option for his Nexus 8. Any updates to offer? I've just put a nexus 8 on a vintage tandem and can't find a shifter option that is both aesthetically pleasing and will actually fit comfortably on the bars without interfering with the brake. From the pics on the manufacturer page, this looks like what I've been looking for.
Ah, thanks for the nudge, elbowging.

Yes, the Microshift SL-N08 works perfectly on my... I'm not going to call it a "path racer" anymore. It's too fancy for that now. It's more of a French Cafe Racer of the bicycle persuasion.

The only caveat is that I had to use some inline barrel adjusters (from Jagwire) up near the mounting point, so I can keep the shifter accurately dialed-in. You can see those in the downtube section of the cable housing in the photo, below:

The bike rides beautifully now, and I love having all 8 gears answering the helm.