Old 03-14-16, 09:45 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by elbowging
Thank you for the update - your bike looks really great with that setup. Also, thanks for the tip about the barrel adjuster. Are you finding yourself needing to adjust it often to keep the shifter in line? I'm fairly new to bike maintenance/upgrades in general and have not used inline adjusters before so I'm trying to decide if the extra faff is worth it (I suspect yes).
Okay, a couple things: First, thanks! I really wish they had a metal/chrome version of this, but maybe that's a project for next winter (maybe I'll do a brass lever!). Next, I could/should have pre-stressed the shifter cable, to take most of the stretch out of it; but I didn't. Still, adjustment can be done at a stop-sign: simply shift into 4th, look down at the indicator window in the hub, and turn the barrel adjuster until the two yellow marks line up. That's it. Now that I've ridden many miles with this setup, it is well-sorted.