Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HereNT
I have exactly 4 crank arm bolts (the ones that hold the crank to the BB) between three bikes. One bike is a MTB, one a road bike (fixie conversion), and one a track bike. I know that I can use the bolts from the track bike on the road, which is what I'm going to be doing tonight. However, I'd like to be able to keep the track bike built up for better weather days over the winter. Later this week I'll get an extra set of bolts for whichever bike doesn't have them after tonight...

But can I use the bolts out of the MTB on either the other bikes? I'm probably going to try it, but I know that sometimes bolts can thread OK but be just a <b><i>little</i></b> bit off and end up stripping things down the road.
The threads are all the same unless they're very obviously different sizes. If they even look like they might possibly fit, they will.

By the way, when starting a new thread, it is considered good form to use a descriptive subject heading. For instance this one could have been something like "Crank bolt threading" or "bolt interchangeability", rather than the meaningless generic heading you chose.

Sheldon "8 x 1" Brown
Code:
+-------------------------------------+
|  Don't drink and drive: you might   |
|  hit a bump, and spill your drink!  |
+-------------------------------------+