View Single Post
Old 03-18-16, 07:32 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Seemed like a thread in which to insert this. I don't ride at night, so my use for lights to be seen so I use the first blink function, not necessarily to see. I have a Cygolite (Metro) headlight and the Cygolite Hotshot taillight. Use them on every ride regardless of whether it is sunny or overcast. I generally throw them on the charger after each ride, or every other ride. Today, after a one hour ride, decided to just let them go and see how long they last. The headlight completely died at 7 hours, I would give it 6 hours of good visibility and function. The taillight, well it is still on, and its been 8 hours! Just an FYI and I have no connection to the manufacturer.
I don't know about the lower powered (Metro) lights, but my higher powered Expilion light says not to leave it on for more than 10 minutes without it being on a moving bike. Something about the metal casing acting as a heat sink and needing air flow, I think.

On your Metro does it have the daytime flash function? On mine I press and hold the power button when first turning it on, and it switches to a mode where it stays off for a second then flashes 3 bright flashes at full power, then off for a second, then 3 flashes, and so on. I like it because the battery will last me a week or more when I use that mode only, but the flashes are still full brightness.