View Single Post
Old 03-21-16, 04:46 AM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
That's awesome.

To put things into perspective: I was 195 when I graduated HS at age 17. I was a 2 sport athlete and probably the fittest and most trim I've ever been in my life. I've always been a big guy I was always the biggest guy at every tennis tournament, hahaha.
I fall under the category of stalky rather than viking huge at only 5'8". The "ideal" dancer (stick figure) was somewhere around 5'10" 140.
Had my ups and downs over the years, on the pudgy side as a kid played around with gymnastics (girls program) baseball and a season of swimming before embarking on a 13 year long career as a short track skater. Cycling was training, as much as I enjoyed group rides and such I hated road racing, did take part in the every other week 10 mile time trial put on by one of the local groups PR was 28:10. When I hung up my skates in 2003 the lazy streak only lasted a few months, I was complaining about how I gotta do something and a coworker talked me into going to a ballet class. Thus beginning the plunge into performing arts that took over life for the next 7 years, ballet and circus arts. All good things must come to an end, my trapeze partner left me for NY and coming up quickly on a rough schedule with the ballet I burned out and called it off in 2010. For the first time in 20 years I wasn't on someone elses schedule and took full advantage by sitting on the couch for the next 5 years. Like most I blew up, from 170 to 235, tried to rally a couple of times with little success... until recently.

Getting back on the track this weekend was closure to the last 5 years of darkness. I went through the beginner course in October and it was a disaster, made it through but it wasn't pretty. I revisited it this weekend for review and hopefully have a better go at it. I'm calling it a success and looking forward to going racing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DLV.jpg (94.3 KB, 22 views)