WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Crashing is a real risk in cycling. It happens, but it's not all that common, and those of us who've been riding for years know that crashes are the exception and not the rule.

I suspect that, as a new cyclist with 2 crashes already, maybe the underlying cause can be found in your mirror.

Ride more carefully and be alert to what's happening around you. Learn to recognize situations with heightened risk potential, like right land drivers that may be turning at the light, or an oncoming driver slowing because he's planning a left turn, and so on. As you gain some experience, your ability to anticipate traffic moves will improve and you'll develop preflexes that keep you out of trouble.
Pretty much everything he said. You'll hear the old "Imagine everyone in a car is trying to kill you" phrase, and it's mostly right. I had the benefit of years of motorcycling before I got into cycling more seriously, so I had learned idiot diver patterns and have more experience anticipating them. You just have to accept that no one behind the wheel of a car can be trusted. Of course as an absolute statement, that's false. But by accepting the concept, you become more vigilant. The majority of the drivers pose no danger, but if you're expecting them to do something stupid, you'll be right at least 5-10% of the time.