Old 03-22-16, 09:59 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Ha! I'm not really sure what happened. Wait...aren't you an Engineer? How do you explain it?
The mass is a linear component of the power required for me to accelerate, thus if I weigh 15% more, I require 15% more power. Assuming I don't have 15% more power, then I will accelerate more slowly. This is why I prefer pursuits over kilos. The acceleration portion of the kilo puts me at too much of a disadvantage. This is also why it's better for me to sprint long vice short. So, despite a W/kg disadvantage the proper employment of tactics can help overcome some disadvantages. This is all well and good, but it doesn't explain consistency over the course of a season despite a significant weight gain. I believe this was caused by different factor: fitness level. What? How can I say my fitness level improved while I gained so much weight? Well, as the season progressed I found I had more time to spend at the track and I got in more quality training, despite the fact that my diet went downhill. So, it's likely that my power increased as my weight increased. I've already seen that type of power increase since I started using a power meter this winter, so I know it's possible.

I would like to add a thought on aerodynamics. Since aero drag is proportional to velocity squared, it is more important than weight in my book. I have three pursuit times to compare: Eddy Merckx style (2:59@253lbs), Full aero (2:46@256lbs), and Full aero again (2:48@273lbs). Assuming my mid-season conditioning was roughly equivalent, less aero drag brought me more improvement than my weight hurt me. That said, I probably won't be able to do a 2:35 pursuit unless I get below to 200lbs. That is, unless this power meter-based training is working. I'll find out this summer.