View Single Post
Old 03-22-16, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 2,614 Posts
My thoughts? 1) the bike isn't in my field of view when I am riding, so when it matters most, it really doesn't. 2) Having a color that stands out or isn't common s a real help on big organized rides. Makes it far easier to find at rest stops. 3) You can change your mind. There is this stuff called paint and people who are pros at applying it. (That steel bike after 20 years and a new paint job stands up quite well to that 20 yo ti bike.) 4) Silver grey or silver brown bikes do not show dirt. I used to be commended for how clean I kept my silver grey Fuji Pro when I had just ridden my 45 mile training loop in the wet. And metal flake pint of any color like the classic Imron paint jobs of the '80s also minimize the visibility of dirt. 5) IMHO red bikes rule. I had my first ti custom painted red. Never regretted it. (But fire engine red, not burgandy red or metal flake red or anything else. Just red!

My bikes: Red with ti stays, brushed ti, orange bronze metal flake (2nd paint job), sky blue power coat (2nd paint job), black. (A 40 yo black Raleigh; it wouldn't have been right to re-paint it any other color.)

Ben