Old 11-29-05, 05:14 PM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
ONE of the wonderful things about having ridden bikes (as an adult) since the late 70's is experienceing the vast improvements in the components. Mid (and in some cases even lower) level stuff is now as good as or better than top of the line used to be. The new stuff lasts longer, functions better, is safer and lighter than days gone by. If I had a reasonably nice bike and had some money to upgrade its performance, I would opt for a good set of lightweight wheels. They improve ride quality and efficiency. Taken care of, they will last a LONG time. Just my .02's worth.

By the way I ride a titanium Merlin Extralight, Campy Record equiped bike with Topolino clincher wheels.

p.s. if I had all of cyclintom's bicycles I couldn't even decide which one to ride each day! Wow
You are 100% correct about the new medimum grade parts being better than the high end parts from 30 years ago. I just replace my rear derailer an El Cheapo derailer I was amazed at the improvement.

My $.0.02 worth on the upgrade trail is buy the best you can afford to start with. Then ride it until a part fails then replace the part with a better one.

Good hubs and wheels make a nice upgrade. The way I did the upgrade is I purchased all the parts and laced the wheels myself and save a few dollars, it is not that hard to do.

I don't know if it is an upgrade or not but taking a new bike apart and using good lube on everything a nice place to start. For two reasons you know the quality of lube and you know the part has been lubed. (Are you sure the factory lubed your crank set?)

You do have to do the reality check when doing upgrades and ask yourself is the cost of a part worth the added benefit to having the part. Carbon fiber bottle holders come to mind, along with anything marketed as just like, Lance, Ted, Or Eddy uses.

Then all bets are off if you race for money in which case the sky is the limit on what you spend on your bike.

The one thing every new rider should get is a good pair of bicycle pants.

Joe