Old 03-23-16, 06:38 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography

If you have to commute just for a while until you get your drivers license back, a commuting bike might be whatever you can get for $99 at Walmart. Ha.
This probably describes the public perception of bicycle commuting and around here probably describes accurately 90% of bicycle commuters among which the Walmart dual suspension MTB is the choice de' jour. Considering they have spent all of their money getting out of jail and paying legal fees even that is a stretch.

Whenever I pass (in my Jeep) a guy (and it is always a guy) riding a Walmart dual suspension MTB on the sidewalk, yep, DUI.

Today the winds were gusting over 50 MPH, bicycles are just not a practical transportation solution here much of the year, too hot, too cold and in between too windy. Unless you are desperate.

I commuted though grade school on a ballon tire bike, HS on an English "Racer" which I commuted with well into college though I had a car as well. Since then it simply has not been practical for me except for a short time when I interned for a company beginning my first career path. I now have another English 3 speed which I intend to set up for short commutes on nice days to the nearby coffee shop from my office.

J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 03-23-16 at 06:42 PM.