Old 03-25-16, 07:57 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Instead of nickel & dime-ing along asking about tools for each and every task simply acquire a Park MK-257 Master Tool Kit and be done with it.

-Bandera
Ha, funny.
I knew it would be expensive, but $6800 !!? You'd think they would include a repair stand for that price. And no shop apron?

Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb
One of these....
Amazon.com : Park Tool DAG-2.2 Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge : Sports & Outdoors
Park Tool DAG-2.2 Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge
Ouch... $70.

I saw a video of how they can straighten out the derailleur mechanism if it's too close to the spokes.

If you want to adjust brakes, it help if the wheel is true. It's all building on the next layer down.
If I want to adjust shifting... Would I use this tool to make sure everything is correct at a more basic level first?

My shifting works. Maybe it's not perfect. I should figure out how to post videos somehow.... I can add that my bike has tipped over a few times. Considering I've had it maybe seven years now, that's tipping over many times I would think. So someone will probably say yes I need the tool, is my guess.

(I haven't watched the Park Tool video yet. I will. It's on my list.) I've been tool hunting a bit today.
I never had an alignment tool, but I'm pretty careful about my bikes tipping over.
I like getting my shifting "just right" and putting the bike on my repair stand makes it easy.

If your rear derailleur has scuff marks or you think the bike fell over on the drive side, I'd check it. It might not cost much at the LBS.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-25-16 at 08:03 AM.