Old 03-26-16, 11:27 AM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"I think you are confusing things here. I never said carbon fiber was not conductive. I said the epoxy resin in not conductive." Post #6 RoadLight
"But this is not a concern with carbon since it is not a metal and won't react chemically with a metal seat post" Post #3 RoadLight

I only reply to what I read. The above two statements are at odds with each other. Were you not referring to carbon fiber with your post #3 use of the word "carbon"? If not then you have been confusing to your readers by not being more specific.
That's silly---parsing my words. Most folks refer to carbon composite frames as "carbon" frames. That's all I did above. I never meant to say that pure carbon is not a metal or is non-conductive. But carbon fibers are not exposed in the seat post area unless something is wrong. Rather, the seat post should be exposed only to epoxy resin. Surely, my point was clear in my post.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I also disagree with your post #6 "The portion of the frame's seat tube where the seat post resides has not been drilled or milled. There should be no exposed carbon fibers at the interior surface of the seat tube where the seat post is located" This flies in the face of many examples of after frame building finishing work that I, and it seems many others, have seen. To ream, grind, hone a carbon fiber frame for a proper seat post fit is not a sign of a defective frame or wrong manufacturing. To install a post is said frame without regard to galvanic reactions and to not periodically maintain said post fit in the frame IS WRONG.
So why do so many high-quality carbon composite bike manufacturers like Specialized fit alloy seat posts to their carbon composite seat tubes dry? It sounds like they need your help very badly. Perhaps there would be a nice consulting fee for you if you present your case to them.