View Single Post
Old 03-27-16, 06:02 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jonthebiker
Sorry if I'm not explaining it properly. If I had cut the steerer tube 2 more mm. the top cap would have inserted flush with the top of the stem as is recommended. Because I left the steerer tube 2 mm. too long, when I Insert the compression plug/top cap into the steerer it doesn't flush up against the top of the stem. There is a 2 mm. gap between the top of the stem and the top cap. I already have 30 mm. of spacers under the stem which is the max recommended by the bike manufacturer. If I add the two millimeter spacer there I exceed the limit. I don't know how critical that is since I have never owned a bike with a carbon steerer prior to this build. Can one be added on top of the stem as someone else suggested ? If I do that, the the compression plug which is under the top cap will be about 4 mm. higher in the tube than where it ideally should be. Again never building a bike with a compression plug I don't know how critical that is.
So right now you have 30mm spacers, a stem and the top of the compression plug sits 2mm below the top of the stem. Congratulations, you are done. Insert the compression cap and be done with it!