View Single Post
Old 03-28-16, 04:19 AM
jonthebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
If this is true, then the OP needs to cut another 5mm off his fork. A spacer above the stem is not recommended by Ritchey.
I found this instruction set on the Ritchey website
http://ritcheylogic.com/wp/wp-conten...nual041708.pdf

On page 4 it states that the compression plug should be no lower than 3 mm from the top of the stem. I suspect their system was designed so that if the top cop bottoms out on the stem than its done right and is at the proper level. It also states that to achieve the desired effect one can leave excess steerer tube and then use a spacer on top of the stem to get the compression plug at the right height. My compression plug/top cap doesn't fall flush with the stem and still sticks out by about 2 mm.
In my minds eye I think I have three options:

1. Try and cut the fork another 2 mm. A bit of a pain in the ass as that's a pretty tiny amount to take off. Could be done though I suppose.

2. Stick another two mm. spacer UNDER the stem. I would then have 32 mm of spacer which exceeds recommendation by two mm. I'm not sure how truly critical that would be.

3. Replace one of the ten mm. spacers that is currently under the stem with a stack that is less than ten which would leave the steerer tube slightly above the stem, and then compensate by using one properly sized spacer above the stem as they say can be done in the instructions. This option of course would lower my stem a few mm. Overall.

Not sure which option is best.