View Single Post
Old 03-28-16, 05:47 AM
jonthebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
If this is true then putting a 5mm above the stem won't work, you'll likely need to cut another 3-4mm off. With the right tool it's easy, I use a Nashbar fork guide which costs about $15, minus whatever Nashbar have off for the day (25% today apparently).

Nashbar Steerer Tube Cutting Guide

Using this tool I was able to cut 1mm off my fork, after my first cut left the tube slightly too long.
Thanks Dr. I have the Park Tool cutting guide and it worked well to cut the tube nice the first time ( although I apparently failed a bit in the measurement myself ). I think my best bet is to use it again to cut another millimeter or two from the fork and then all should be well and as designed and recommended.
Let me see if I understand then fully. I cut the fork another mm or two. I then drop in the Compression plug which as you say automatically falls flush with the steerer tube as designed and tighten that. Then I drop in the top cap and turn until just tight enough to preload the bearings while allowing the wheel to turn without binding. Sound good ?