View Single Post
Old 03-28-16, 05:49 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jonthebiker
Thanks Dr. I have the Park Tool cutting guide and it worked well to cut the tube nice the first time ( although I apparently failed a bit in the measurement myself ). I think my best bet is to use it again to cut another millimeter or two from the fork and then all should be well and as designed and recommended.
Let me see if I understand then fully. I cut the fork another mm or two. I then drop in the Compression plug which as you say automatically falls flush with the steerer tube as designed and tighten that. Then I drop in the top cap and turn until just tight enough to preload the bearings while allowing the wheel to turn without binding. Sound good ?
Sounds good to me. Just cut the fork to make sure that there's a 2-3mm drop from the top of the stem to the top of the installed compression plug, so that you have adequate space to apply pre-load, without the top cap bottoming out.