View Single Post
Old 03-29-16, 07:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
I checked my worn out 'Competition;' it is dated A77.

I don't know the earlier history of these companies, especially Lycett, but it had been swallowed up by Brooks by 1960. I assume this was all part of the consolidation of the British bicycle industry (in short, TI had bought up many companies including Reynolds, Accles & Pollock, Norman, Hercules, Phillips, etc by the mid 50's; and finally bought up Raleigh as well, and then closed many of the redundant companies, after which bicycles bearing the Hercules, Phillips, Norman, etc brands were made by Raleigh). I assume the saddle industry followed the same pattern: Wrights had once been a separate company, and a competitor to Brooks; after the consolidation it was a Brooks-owned brand. Whether they maintained their own manufacturing facility or not, after the consolidation they used Brooks hardware (same frames, same nose pieces, same rivets, etc). I have seen a couple Lycett Swallow saddles dated 1959 that are exactly the same as Wrights Swallow saddles of the 60's.