Old 11-30-05, 12:45 AM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 211, 5',11" and in 35 years have never bent an axle.
Remember that with quick release the axle is hollow, so if your really worried about it, replace with a solid axle, even something beefy like a 14mm axle. How do you manage to bend so many? Bikes are precision machines, and i have 2 centurions, one a 1977 super lemans and one a 1984 elite. both great frames and great bikes. The super lemans I built up with vintage campy nuevo record through out. i even kept the ranndour handle bars and but went from a touring set-up to a sport touring /racing. changed the cluster from 14-32 to 14,15,17,19,21. and went to sew-ups
sorry for the digression,if it was me, i would tap the axle on a flat anvil with a light hammer, and gently tap out the high points of the axle, looking at when the light shines through were the axle contacts the flat anvil. If done right this is a flawless way to make anything perfectly true.(It's the same way they straighten out Saxophone key rods). while you're at it, it's not a bad idea to replace the bearings.
If you don't feel like going to all this trouble, just replace the entire axle.Good as new, problem solved.
Have fun with your Centurion, a blast from the past, !