View Single Post
Old 03-30-16, 11:44 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by grall1126
On my spare bike I have a Campy group with a 9 sprocket set up. I use a Chorus sealed bottom bracket on the Litespeed. I was riding the other day and noticed some play in the spindles. I replaced the bottom bracket with a new sealed one.
I'll bet you're using the Campy 102mm square-taper BB that can still be bought on all of the online sites for about $100. This unit has 2 cartridge bearings on the drive side and one larger cartridge on the non-drive side. Going from memory.

These units are completely parts compatible with Record BBs, but not the 111mm Centaur units.

I have replaced the cartridge bearings on these several times. Takes about 30 minutes, including the BB removal; the cartridge bearings are pretty standard, and can be bought online from Asia for about $5 each. Or about $50 for (scam) ceramics.

Almost always, it is the smaller outboard cartridge that goes, and only this has to be replaced.

The only tools required is a bench vice, some pliers (to remove C-clips) and a small hammer to punch the carts out and then back in. Plus the correct BB tool of course.

Abandon hope in taking this to a shop, I that they'll first strip your old cups by using the wrong tool, lose all of the old parts, and then balk at any repair task that does not involve replacing the entire unit.

Why would I fuss with this? Because I can replace the bearings in less time than hauling my bike to the shop.
Likes For Dave Mayer: