View Single Post
Old 03-31-16, 11:10 AM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slash5
Wow, that's nice work. I just finished a build and was told that the horizontal section of the rear derailleur should be more or less parallel with the chain stay. You will need to adjust the B screw.
So digging around a little I did read that younger, indexed Suntour RDs prefer that parallel setting. I revisited Sheldon Brown to proceed with dialing in the RD. His guidance on the b-screw is to make sure the cage or jockey pulley clears the largest cog. Even fully loosened as pictured above it have no issue there. But the chain is overly slack when shifted to small-small. The b-screw can help with that, but I suspect I have one too many links in the chain. Sheldon recommends one full link of overlap when wrapped big-big (and no RD). I have two full links and some slack. Elsewhere on BF I've read that two links is proper, but I think I'd rather have less slack in the event I lose track of where I am and somehow end up shifting to small-small.