View Single Post
Old 03-31-16, 02:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
As a van dweller that can move around easily to get the things I need, such as water. Having a composting toilet that doesn't need to be emptied immediately and an easy source for water seems like a breeze.

I pay for filtered water at the rate of thirty cents per gallon at grocery store vending machines. I use a gallon per day.
I am pleasantly surprised that no one is giving you a used bucket of sawdust for living in a MOTOR vehicle and posting on a bike forum. There was a long period of my life where I could MOVE everything I owned to a storage unit in one minivan trip. Never tried living in one. I have been "homeless" for long periods of time on bike tours up to a year in length and "living" on the road and sleeping in a tiny tent. But 6 months was about my limit for being truly happy doing that. I am fairly certain I could be happy in one of those campers that sits in the back of a pickup truck. This way I could leave the "home" part behind and use the vehicle for other purposes. But good on you for making the minivan thing work. I guess it's about like living on a small sailboat but with less "romance" (to the untrained eye anyway).