View Single Post
Old 04-01-16, 12:04 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
Lately I've taken interest in bike touring but I have ZERO experience with it. I've been reading books and blogs and one day I hope to do the Trans AM route but that will be years before I can do it.

My teenager son has shown some interest as well and we are planing a few overnight (or 3 day weekend) trips over the spring and summer but here is our dilemma.

Both of our road bikes don't have rack mounts but will take a 28mm tire that would be helpful as some routes may include crushed limestone paths (up to 50 miles of it). I'm not sure of our options are for carrying gear. I've seen those seat post mounted racks that claim to hold up to 20lbs each. I figured that between the 2 of us that should be enough but I'm not sure about putting an extra 20lbs + the rack itself on my carbon FUji Gran fondo…

What are your experiences with light touring as a road rider. Are there any other options I'm missing??

Originally Posted by tarwheel
You've got several options. …Alternatively, get a large seatbag such as a Carradice, and travel very light. If you are credit-card touring and staying in hotels, you can tour surprisingly light… Panniers are not realistic unless you willing to put a rear rack on your bike, and you still might have heel clearance issues.

A final option would be to ride in a supported tour, where all you have to carry is a normal seat bag, water bottles, etc. I have ridden a number of supported tours over the years and it's a great way to travel by bike if you don't have a touring bike, panniers and other gear.
I too have a lightweight carbon fiber bike without eyelets, and would not dare add a clamp-on rack to my CF seatpost. Around Boston are plenty of nice destinations within a day or two ride of my home downtown. Though I may be a profligate packer, this solution would be fine with me for a two or three day deluxe credit card excursion.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This weekend I bought one of these Green Guru Bike Packs for my high end carbon fiber bike with carbon fiber seat post. I have been looking for a seat bag with larger volumes than the typical small tool bags. I wanted something to carry voluminous but lightweight stuff like extra clothing and food, besides tools, spares etc, but I lack rear stay eyelets for a rack, and can't clamp onto a carbon fiber seat post.

Today I carried a pair of shoes and tools. It might be cool to attach my toolbag outside the bikepack, if possible, to further expand the volume, and make the tools more quickly accessible. I might even revert to using an (empty) back pack as well, as a lightweight "reserve" cargo space, e.g. for an extended ride to stow a light weight jacket or fleece as the day warms up.

The pictures below show the Bike Pack fully extended. It has a roller type closure like the Ortlieb pannier bags to expand or collapse for the particular cargo. A Velco strap attaches the bag to the seat post without much stress, and straps with easy closures suspend the bag from the seat rails high above the wheels.

The only better alternative I have seen is a custom-made (four weeks) bag which requires an additional metal seat bag support.

PS: See this additional post about attaching tool bag.

Originally Posted by jen_turnbull
That's ridiculous, who needs a seat bag that big?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FWIW, maybe even enough (like a toothbrush) for an overnight credit card ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
051.JPG (70.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1014.jpg (92.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-01-16 at 12:12 PM.