View Single Post
Old 04-06-16, 08:44 AM
Gadgets4grls

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT customized, Fuji Tread, GT Zaskar 9R Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here’s my heavily customized LHT affectionately called “The Mule.” Bet you can guess why.

She started life as a as a 2015 disc LHT 56cm / 700C. Well she's still a 56cm / 700C but not much else is the same.

Thing that connect me to her:
Salsa Cowbell 2 drop bars
Profile Design T1+ Aerobars
Redshift dual position seat post
Brooks B-17 saddle

Pieces that make her go/stop:
Schlumpf Cargo bottom bracket / cranks with 34/50 chain rings, for the lowest of low gearing 9 gear inches
Shimano Ultegra Di2 front/rear derailleurs
Shimano STI shifters on drop bars and TT Brifters on Aero bars
TRP HY-RD brakes running sintered pads with Yokozuna compressionless housings and upsized rotors rear 180 front 203
Shimano M8000 40-11T cassette running with a Goatlink "Road link" adapter
Wheels are Phil Woods touring 36 spoke with DT Swiss TH540 running Schwalbe Marathon Plus summer / Marathon Winter studded when icy.

Bits for carry lots of STUFF:
Surly Nice Racks front/rear
Ortlieb bike backer plus panniers front and rear
Arkel Tailrider trunk on the front rack.
Bob Yak Plus trailer with Greenspeed rack, kitty litter panniers and cat carrier. This was just the trial cat carrier I have the replacement but need to build a base so it will sit on the Bob. Hopefully new pictures to follow soon

Bits that take electrons:
Garmin Edge 1000 / Vaira radar (on seat post)
Kawell 18 watt off road vehicle led light bar under Tailrider
6 watt Red Strobe Tail light set to slow flash
GoPro Hero 4 facing forward
GoPro Hero 2 facing backwards (left hand side)
LoudBicycle Horn

Bit that feeds all those electron hungry bits:

So for all of the electronics I need a lot of power. Rather than having a dozen different chargers I ended up built my own central power center. Inside the Trailrider I build a frame that houses a 12.8V 20 amp hour LiFePo4 battery. I decided to go with the automotive voltage standard of 12 volt as being easier. I have a 5 port “car” usb adapter which the Garmin/GoPro are plugged into. The “vehicle” lights run off of this battery as well.

Right now that means when I get home I have a single connector to plug in to charge everything. When touring I have a solar charge controller and a 50watt solar panel that will help keep things charged with the option to parallel another panel for more power when parked. I’m considering putting a dynamo hub on the Bob for a secondary charging source but haven’t decided on which one just yet. That is a project that is still in the works.

Some are probably wondering why I need so much power. I’m going to end up replacing the “dumb” switch/relay power center with an Arduino, DIY microprocessor, “smart” controller. It will monitor power usage and power coming in through the solar panel. This will give me real time usage, capacity. It will also end up being what controls the lights on my bike, ie flashing patterns and alike.

The biggest driving force that got me going in this direction is this little guy.

Hi! My name's Kiwi and I'm spoiled ROTTEN!

He is my constant companion. Commutes with me every day and on all my other bicycle trips as well. Since I’m riding winter and summer his carrier
needs heating/cooling so that runs off of this battery as well. Right now I’m his manual thermostat but the Arduino will take over that job once I get it up and working.

As for the cats/trailer that my Wife’s fault and another long story.

Hope you enjoyed the pics

Gadgets

This is what pours out when you add equal portions of ADD, OCD and GEEK into a blender and puree.

Last edited by Gadgets4grls; 04-06-16 at 07:52 PM.