View Single Post
Old 11-30-05, 10:36 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
I think they need someone who can write from a balanced perspective - perhaps someone who used to drive regularly, but now bikes as a primary means of transit, or vice versa.

I haven't owned a car in about four years, but rent one on occasion for recreational activities (hiking, etc). I started biking regularly about 8 years ago, so it was a gradual transition. Now that I don't do it regularly, I absolutely hate driving, especially long distances. A few weeks ago, I rented a car to go hiking on a trail about a 90 minute drive away. On the drive to and from, it was so f-ing boring! I enjoyed hiking, but the tedium of driving almost tainted they experience.

Another perspective that needs to be discussed is missing it when one can't bike. In the last couple years or so, there were a couple times I couldn't ride because was on the shelf for maintenance (wheel being rebuilt, etc.). Even though it was for a short period of time, I really missed riding - missed the excercise, the thrill, the convenience, the efficiency. I don't see how anyone can go back to driving after getting used to the thrill of biking
amen. i was actually car-free without a bike, just public transit, for some time. after staring on a bike, i can't believe i ever did that, and until starting school again (you know, doing homework on the bus), i wouldn't even use public transit...cuz that's pretty boring, too! give me wind in my face and rolling wheels beneath me, that feeling of flying, the feeling of accomplishment..and then there's that sig (who had it again?) with the "HHCMF club" about the "tales of feats of derring-do amidst an army of impotent maniacal suv drivers".