Old 04-07-16, 10:05 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Oh !! Please do not insult yourself by comparing anything made by Co-motion to anything made by Trek and in particular compared to a LHT. A Ford Focus just ain't the same as a Formula 1 race car.
Serious halucinations!!
Get the right drugs to take!!
In a number of posts you have similar language suggesting Co-motion bikes are a breed above the Surly LHT. I wonder, is this just hyperbole, or is there a real, tangible difference to be had?

For comparison purposes, lets consider the Co-motion Pangea and the Surly disc LHT in size 52cm. Please, take a moment and compare the Co-motion Pangea to the Surly disc LHT and tell us how the Co-motion Pangea is qualitatively different, and superior, to the disc LHT.

Co-Motion Cycles | pangea

Disc Trucker | Bikes | Surly Bikes

What makes the Pangea, which starts at $1965 for the frame only, worth about $1500 more than the LHT, which costs just under $500 for frame only?

I can begin this comparison. Surly uses 4130 cromo steel for frame and fork. Co-motion uses Reynolds 725 steel, which is 4130 steel heat treated, for the frame. Co-motion fork is listed simply as cromo so it is likely 4130 or Reynolds version of 4130, the 525. Benefit of 725 is more strength, but similar stiffness. It is possible the Pangea is lighter in weight, but I was not able to find a weight listing for Pangea frames, so any weight difference from the LHT is unknown. If there is a weight difference, my guess it is not much. Since these are not racing bikes, the weight difference probably means little to most who tour.

It seems one can get custom sizing with the Pangea, for an additional fee, and this could be a important difference for those unable to find comfort with standard sized frames.

Other differences? Consider

* geometry (very similar),
* braze-ons (LHT has more useful bits),
* tire clearance (LHT handles wider tires),

and other features of these bike frames.

Help the discerning buyer, who may read this thread, identify why one would spend $1500 for the Pangea frame compared to the disc LHT frame. Put aside any fixated lust and adoration for a particular brand, emotion-driven desires, and tendencies to succumb to marketing ploys and instead focus on actual differences between these frames and tell us, how do they differ?

Last edited by bwgride; 04-07-16 at 10:09 PM.