Thread: Squirrel!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-16, 12:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP

We've had some lively debates here about whether the mechanics of what appears to have happened in that photo are even possible.
Yes, it's very possible. The key elements are the time interval between the passing of spokes, and the speed of the squirrel.

Lower spoke count wheels increase that time interval making this kind of event more likely.

You can do a small home experiment using a ping pong ball and your front wheel. It's not all that difficult to toss the ball through a stationary wheel, with some going clear through and some glancing off a spoke and being deflected as they pass. Obviously lower spoke count makes the "hole" bigger and increases the odds of "nothing but net".

Now spin the wheel and you'll find that the odds shift against the ball making it through, and if you spin it fast enough the wheel acts like a solid wall bouncing the ball back to you every time. The "solid wall" speed depends on the number of spokes, or more precisely the distance between them, so lower spoke count wheels may never achieve that solid wall effect at typical bike speeds.

Caught squirrel crashes aren't all that rare, and the majority (maybe all?) of them involve the low spoke counts that make possible what is nearly impossible otherwise.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-08-16 at 12:50 PM.