Old 04-08-16, 08:44 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorKnox
It looks more like the 1983 to me, but you can tell for sure by checking the serial number. The first three years the serial numbers started with AA(1983), BB(1984), or CC(1985). After that, they used a numeric code that's pretty easy to decipher, just check the vintage cannondale site.

As to ride and tire clearance: I recently finished building up my first Cannondale - a 1986 ST500 and I love it. It has officially replaced my Trek 620 as my everyday commuter. It rides extremely well. I was bracing myself for the "harsh" aluminum ride, but that was not the case. The long chainstays and fat tires make this thing ride almost as smooth as the steel Trek. While the 620 would get the edge in pure comfort, I really like how light and responsive the Cannondale feels. As to the tires - mine has Panaracer Pasela 27x1 1/4" tires with fenders. Clearance with fenders is pretty tight, but they fit.
Thank you - I did not contact seller for serial number yet as I am not sure if I want this bike. So just doing some research for now and want to hear if anyone has/had one.
I have 1993 R400 and it is my only aluminum bike. I ride it with 25s on wide Fulcrums 7 and it is not harsh at all. I replaced original fork with Ritchey carbon with alu steerer, it helped to smooth out the ride too. Mine has clearance for 28 (actual 28) but as I said - even on 25s (have Maxxis Refuse on it now) very nice ride.