Old 04-11-16, 06:24 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I disagree. The LHT appears to be a glorified department store bicycle, made by a company that possibly does not have an engineering dept or testing equipment. You might be able to call it it a touring bicycle but you sure can't call it quality.
Trek does have an extensive aggressive engineering dept, lots of the best testing equipment. My guess is that the engineering dept has priority over the marketing dept. Unlike Chinese companies.
The 920 is a pretty good touring bicycle, there are better touring bicycles. The LHT sure ain't on the list.
You don't have anything to back those claims. You don't actually know anything about the testing or engineering departments of Trek, or Surly for that matter. I don't either, but I also don't make wild claims about them.
But would you say that the Trek 520 is a capable touring bike? It's designed by Trek and is their most popular touring bike, bought by people who know about bicycle touring and want durability as well as 36 spoke wheels.

Also, the world disagrees with you. While people who have actually toured seem to snicker about the 920, the LHT is held in high regard as a very capable touring machine. I wonder why that is. Does it mean that you are right without having any first hand touring experience and the people who have actual experience, the majority of bicycle tourists, are wrong? Could be, but I doubt it.