Old 04-12-16, 02:19 PM
tiiger
Boots lost in transit

Bikes: 1989 Ritchey Outback, 2014 All-City Macho Man Disc, 2016 Wilier GTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back in olden times, I went to the University of Minnesota, where squirrels outnumber mosquitoes.

I was biking to my German class, and I ran over one. (A squirrel, not a German.)

No way to avoid it. Didn't even try to swerve, because pedestrians. Bah-bump. (With a tiny crunch sound.)

I quickly stopped and had a look. It was on the pavement, twitching, and then slowly limped its way to the bushes on the other side of the path. A bunch of people were watching it, but this was the mid-80's so there wasn't really any hating of me going on, like there would be today. Today I'd probably be hung in effigy, if not for real. We all kind of looked at each other, knowingly, like, well, it was bound to happen, and who cares because there are more where that one came from.

So, my concern for the squirrel resulted in me being late to class, and because we all had to speak German in class, I had to explain what happened, in German. I butchered it, but got the point across. "Ich fahre uber ein squirrel."

Translated, I apparently said "I drive over a squirrel." Like, it's happening now. And "squirrel" is only understood because you already know English.

Google says I should have said "Ich lief ein Eichhörnchen über."

The more you know.

Anyway, after class, I went back to the place where it happened, and the squirrel wasn't there anymore, that I could see. No little shrines had been erected, either. But again, shrines for dead rodents weren't a thing yet. Because, no Internet.