Old 04-14-16, 08:13 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I carry a little velcro wallet in my back jersey pocket. In it I have a photo of my drivers license and some cash. My phone is in the pocket on the other side. My hope is that if someone finds me unconscious on the side of the road they will
1. Use my phone to call 911
2. give my location, apparent condition and ID info to the 911 operator
3. talk to me by name, saying that help is on the way.
4 If #3 is beyond them, then they are welcome to the cash, providing they completed #'s 1 and 2.
Originally Posted by canklecat
I carry my regular wallet, with IDs, emergency contact info, etc. Sometimes I leave my debit card at home and carry enough cash for minor emergencies. I've considered getting a thinner wallet of synthetic material since my leather wallet gets damp when I carry it in my pocket rather than in the handlebar bag. But it's a hassle swapping stuff between wallets, and a risk of forgetting something important.

Regarding emergency medical care, there's always a risk anywhere that we won't be covered. When I worked for the federal government and had various HMO plans (Sanus, Cigna, etc.), I was surprised to discover my insurance did not cover anything other than major emergencies when I was on duty away from my home city. My job involved travel throughout north central Texas, and occasional travel to Chicago for training, but I wasn't covered for anything other than major medical issues, and even then only with prior approval -- which would be difficult to obtain in an emergency if I was unconscious or otherwise unable to call the insurance company for approval.
Neither of these are particularly good ideas for being identified. An EMT will cut your jersey away to get your vitals and look at your body without giving any thought to seeing what's on your person as that can all be sorted out later. Anyway, the EMT is not responsible to call your designated medical Power of Attorney.

I recommend a road ID or similar type bracelet in a bright, noticeable color. Yellow or bright green are good.

Really, don't expect someone to search you so they can notify your wife. It won't happen when the blood if flowing.

One our local riders, a young lady in her 30's, spent four days in a coma in Florida (we live in Texas) after an accident on an MUP. She was careflighted away from the area and it took four days for her husband to find her. Just sayin........