View Single Post
Old 04-16-16, 06:38 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by rex615
What headlight is that? Does it have a LED conversion?
I have a similar headlight that I was running on my grass track racer.

Oh and as always, great pics!
"Grass track racer"? That's the first time I've heard of that. It's a gorgeous bike - simple and elegant. Do you actually race that thing? Or is it a "racer" in the same sense as "Path -", or "Cafe Racer"? Either way, it looks pretty sporty.

The headlight on Gypsy Bleu is called a "Donson Torpedo" chrome retro-style headlight that I bought off eBay:

Donson Torpedo Chrome Retro Classic Vintage Bike Bicycle 6 LED Light Headlight | eBay

It is the second headlight I have had on this bike, because the first one I bought ended up being plastic (the ad didn't say that). I don't use plastic on my bicycles unless there is no alternative. This was the" Linus Headlamp", and I bought that off Amazon for something like $27. It was in my early photos of this bike before I decided to order the Donson.

Both headlights use LEDs, powered by AA batteries, and are useless for night-time navigation. Yes, the Donson has 6 LEDs, and is all metal, but beyond that it is really only good "to be seen"; to illuminate reflective road signs, but not the road ahead. As far as I know, nobody has come out with a useful retro-styled metal LED headlamp yet. If somebody knows of one, please enlighten me? (Sorry, but I just had to do that...)