Old 04-16-16, 05:08 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Help Me Feel Better About My Motobecane GT Project.

I sold my daughter's wonderful pink Takara with perfect and complete Alpha-5000 components after she told me she didn't like pink (Since when?) and wanted to sit upright. This 1984 Motobecane Grand Touring Mixte will replace it. I found it on CL and picked it up this morning. I paid the asking price and didn't ride it or test anything. It looks great. I'm bothered by a couple things:
1. These shifters feel terrible and loose even after tightening that plastic disk thing. I thought they were alloy but they are just poorly chromed _____. I think I'll replace them with some Campy levers I have on hand.

2. The FD low limit screw is "screwed" and not repairable (IME) and the small chainring is out of reach. This FD needs replacing. The RD feels nice and tight and I think will be great with decent shifters.

3. My pan was to order some Nitto B302 North Roads, Tektro FL750s, and some cork grips but i don't know if the bars are compatible with this stem.

4. The brakes are a lower level than what came on my 1979 GT.

I'm just experiencing a little buyer's remorse I guess. What FD should I get? And what can I do to make Nitto B302s fit?

Last edited by Classtime; 07-30-16 at 01:25 PM.