Old 04-16-16, 05:51 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Same color scheme and graphics as my non-mixte 1983 Grand Touring. The bikes were very similar 82-83-84. If you have a helicomatic rear hub, it's an 84; if standard threads, it's probably 82-83.

Mine came from the original owner with a replacement rear derailleur, Shimano LX, and Shimano downtube shift levers to take advantage of indexing. It had the original Huret front derailleur, but since it was a little rough looking, I replaced it with a used Shimano LX to match the rear. I also put bar end shifters on.

I can't tell if it's complete from your pictures, but that Stronglight crank originally was a triple ring crank. if you still have 3 rings, you'll need a FD that can handle it.

One mistake I made with the LX was forgetting I needed a cable stop, because of the bike's cable set-up. The LX didn't have an integrated stop, so I had to add a clamp stop under it on the seat tube.

That stem is a French one inch quill, so it's 22.0mm, instead of 22.2mm. If the clamp size on the Nitto bars won't fit that stem, you'll need another stem or different bars. However, people here on the forum have reported success in sanding down the circumference of a standard one inch stem to make it fit a French fork. You need to remove 1mm from the circumference to get the stem to a 22.0 diameter. That would enable you to get a stem that fits the bars you want. I have never done this myself, but you can search the forum about it.

I kept the original stem and bars on mine, and just replaced the rubber sleeve with regular bar tape.

I kept the original Weinmann brakes, but put Kool Stop Continental pads on them and they work fine.