Old 04-17-16, 08:32 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
Sometimes you just have to go with what you've got. This might sound strange from someone who is shelling out a lot of money for a top-of-the-line bike but it makes sense to me. I can't stop the aging process and I certainly know that I am not immortal. Back in 1972 when I watched Frank shorter win the Olympic marathon a light bulb lit up in my brain illuminating what had previously just been air. It changed my life. I began running in a pair of department store sneakers and I ran for five years before I saw another runner. People used to stop and ask me if I needed a ride. I can still remember my first pair of running shoes (brooks) the only brand the store had in my size. I ran my first race in 1979, a fourth of July five miler. The race had 75 runners. I finished 9th in 28:14. Funny how these things crystalize in your memory. I went on to become a five minute miler by 1985.

I knew nothing about cycling except that in 1983 I sustained a stress fracture and was told not to run for 8 weeks. I rode a Montgomery Ward bicycle to maintain my weight, cooking the bottom bracket and seizing the headset before throwing it in the trash. It was then that I realized quality was a factor in cycling. The cycling did its job and I went on to several personal records in 1983 and was even the overall winner in two races. I was married and raising a family so I could not afford a good bike in those days. I did some triathlons in the late 80's on a borrowed bike that was about five sizes too big and did well although I almost drowned. I bought a used Peugeot from a friend in 1990 that was only about 3 sizes too big and joined a local cycling club.

I can vividly recall my first group riding experience. It went something like this: "Look moron, when you pull through in a pace line you don't take off so the next guy has to kill himself trying to catch you!" I still had that every-man-for-himself runner's mentality as well as the idiotic belief that runners were superior to cyclists. I eventually made the transition to cycling and got my first good bike in 1991, a Cannondale R800, $1,000, Still have it. Only one size too big. I raced and crashed this bike a lot and realized that just staying in the peloton was huge in cycling.

In 2006 I stopped doing everything. By 2008 I was 20 pounds heavier and feeling my age-61. I bought my Cannodale Six-13 in 2008 with Mavic Kyserium wheels and Dura Ace shifting for about $2,500. I would take the entire winter off, gain ten pounds and then lose it again only to gain it back the next winter. So this year I'm training like an athlete on a Sole LCR recumbent stationary. Don't let anyone tell you recumbent trainers don't work because they do and they are kind to your back and crotch. I also have a Cycelops fluid trainer on my Cannondale R800.

I'm going to be 68 in a few weeks. I cannot stop the clock but I can slow it down. I still work because my wife lost her insurance so we put her on mine until she is old enough to retire. I am highly skilled and make a good living though I would really like to just ride my bike. I bought the new bike because it makes sense to have a good bike now that I plan to ride until it gets dark every day, 50-60 miles and then maybe 70-80 miles on Sunday. This is me. this is what I want to do and I feel good about it. It's definitely worth it.
How many gears did the 'Montgomery Ward bicycle' have?