Old 04-18-16, 04:57 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks

issue 1) am I supposed to have them hiked up to my belly button and *completely up on one side or the other of my danglies? how high? I noticed the pants hanging on the saddle nose and inch by inch lifted them to the point that I had to choose a side before I could be confident that I wouldn't be turning them into vented pants.
You're probably wearing shorts that are way too big. Look at the manufacturer's sizing charts and compare to your measurements.

once they were that high, they were up to the button... are they just made to accomodate folks with some weight to lose and someone bony like me just needs to get them hemmed way down so that while the crothc is high, the top chills on the hips like normal?
If you're a skinny climber type, you're probably XS to small depending on hip size and how snug a given model is supposed to fit.

The top needs to be high enough your belly stays covered if your jersey rides up a bit.

issue 2) chafe. aside from aerodynamics and/or racey pretense, how are these better than mesh shorts?
The chamois moves with you, while the outer short stays parked instead of the inner fabric moving around. It's wicking, so the part near your skin should stay drier.