View Single Post
Old 04-19-16, 11:02 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
Not the good stuff. Athena (now potenza) and veloce use this lever arrangement. Chorus and up have levers in the original position to allow sweeping shifts. EPS, with no mechanical parts, uses the sloping buttons.

Ive been test riding a lot of bikes for work lately, and all had Shimano. I forgot how much I hate it. The ergos don't work for me, the lever throw is too far, I can't shift up more than one at a time, it's harder in the drops because there's so much effing throw, and every time I shift the brake lever from the hoods I seem to apply the brakes a little. Not to mention I can't shift from the tops by reaching out with my pinky.

Ive tested plenty of bikes with SRAM too, and I still can't get my head around double tap. I doubt I could remember how it works when cross eyed in a sprint.
Which shimano groups have you been using? The latest tiagra, 105 and especially ultegra 6800, have very short lever throws. The short throw effect is even more pronounced with 6800 since the derailleur springs are so heavy and therefore shifts are completed so quickly. To say that you accidentally brake "every time" you shift means that your brakes are badly out of adjustment, your shift technique is laughably poor, or that you are massively exaggerating.

The previous version of tiagra has longer throws but the latest iteration of tiagra is much closer in design philosophy to their higher end groups. Very light action, light click, short throw, very fast shift.

Also, how are the brakes adjusted? If the pads are a tenth of a millimeter from the rims, then maybe you'll have a problem. Otherwise, I have no problems braking accidentally while shifting.

By contrast, super record has literally, super long throws. I enjoy it, but it's very different from shimano's approach.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is braking quality. Shimano is far superior in this regard. I find everything from 105 on up is superior to campagnolo super record. I don't know if it's the 'skeleton' calipers flexing too much or whether campy decided pros need less power, the difference is obvious.

Multiple upshifts require Di2. I would love to see it on shimano mechanical.

Last edited by American Euchre; 04-19-16 at 11:09 PM.