View Single Post
Old 04-19-16, 11:11 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by usatrump
Which shimano groups have you been using? The latest tiagra, 105 and especially ultegra 6800, have very short lever throws. The short throw effect is even more pronounced with 6800 since the derailleur springs are so heavy and therefore shifts are completed so quickly. To say that you accidentally brake "every time" you shift means that your brakes are badly out of adjustment, your shift technique is laughably poor, or that you are massively exaggerating.

The previous version of tiagra has longer throws but the latest iteration of tiagra is much closer in design philosophy to their higher end groups. Very light action, light click, short throw, very fast shift.

Also, how are the brakes adjusted? If the pads are a tenth of a millimeter from the rims, then maybe you'll have a problem. Otherwise, I have no problems braking accidentally while shifting.

By contrast, super record has literally, super long throws. I enjoy it, but it's very different from shimano's approach.

Multiple upshifts require Di2. I would love to see it on shimano mechanical.
Ultegra 6800 and dura ace 9000. I sort of drape my hands over the knob of the hood as a neutral position and roll my finger around to the shift lever to shift. No problem with campy but it's a real issue on Shimano. I do like my brakes really sensitive so there's not a bunch of useless pull before something happenes, but at the ultegra and up level I shouldn't have to compromise the way I like my brakes to feel so the shifter works without me making the brakes actuate. I know I'm not alone in my distaste for Shimano over the multi-purpose nature of the brake lever. Something so critical shouldn't have so many functions.