View Single Post
Old 04-19-16, 11:20 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
Ultegra 6800 and dura ace 9000. I sort of drape my hands over the knob of the hood as a neutral position and roll my finger around to the shift lever to shift. No problem with campy but it's a real issue on Shimano. I do like my brakes really sensitive so there's not a bunch of useless pull before something happenes, but at the ultegra and up level I shouldn't have to compromise the way I like my brakes to feel so the shifter works without me making the brakes actuate. I know I'm not alone in my distaste for Shimano over the multi-purpose nature of the brake lever. Something so critical shouldn't have so many functions.
I like to set my pads fairly close to the rims as well, but rarely if ever have a problem with braking accidentally. Again, this must be a problem with your shifting technique. It only takes the most minor amount of practice before you are shifting perfectly from either the drops or hoods. Shifting does not "make" the brakes actuate. That's just bad technique. Either that, or sheer exaggeration on your part.

Personally, I love the feel of shimano brake hoods and levers.

Also, there are only two functions of the levers: braking and shifting. It is theoretically possible to accidentally brake while shifting, but it's just anti shimano propaganda to claim that shifting 'makes' the brakes work. That's just ridiculous. Practice a little bit and the problem is non-existent.

I can respect the fact that people have preferences but outlandish exaggeration is not the way to get your point across.