Old 04-20-16, 04:04 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
@Rowan me too. thread title said cycling pants. In my eyes, they're tights with zippers at the ankles and nothing else. No chamois. Riding a semi-broken in brooks pro which feels aok under basketball shorts and nothing else. I think the chafing occurred during the first ten miles or so while I had them sitting low and they were shifting around.
@steve-in-kville that is what my plan was, but after gambling on rocking the tights to my pt job at the mall, and then to campus, I recommend just showing off dat a$$! I got a pretty good reaction my first time out dressed like a comitted cyclist. I'm definitely now planning on getting another pair...

the lbs has on clearance some cold/wet weather tights/pants with a built-in chamois, any idea if that's a worthwhile thing for >50*F?
Well, there you go. You actually do need a pair of cycling shorts with chamois to go under the tights, and for wearing by themselves in summer. You're sort of half way there in the comfort stakes with the semi-broken-in Brooks saddle, and who knows, once it's all the way there, you can wear padded or unpadded clothing every time you ride (I can on most of my Brooks saddles).

Essentially, padded bike shorts help wick away sweat from the butt and groin, and help reduce the risk of chafing. The padding adds a small element of cushioning, and that is handy on long-distance rides. The lycra shorts themselves are structured to keep the chamois in place.

However, buying a pair of bike shorts that suits you can be a gamble. You have to make sure the chamois suits you. It's the one time when you really need to go to a bike shop and try on different brands of bike shorts to see how they feel around the groin (bunched up is the biggest complaint) and that they have adequate coverage with the padding around the back where the sit bones are.

Tights are an optional extra, in my book. They depend on your type of riding. I'll use (in order) knee warmers when the temps are around 15 deg C, leg warmers when between 10 and 15 deg C, and tights of various weights below 10 deg C. If I am touring, I am just as likely to wear shorts with pockets over the top of bike shorts, or lightweight travel pants with the cuffs tucked into my socks or with leg bands.