Old 04-20-16, 06:40 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
@Rowan I have never in my life heard or read "travel pants".

Are "bike shorts" and chamois fitting ever really do-able in one shot, or is it like learning your bike fitting over the course of the ownership and many hundreds of miles on several bikes?

Is there such a thing as a bike shop which stocks more than two brands of cycle clothing? Does anyone know of one in upstate NY? Seems like a big-city kind of thing.
Travel pants, AKA hiking pants or trousers. Made of lightweight synthetic material. Available at REI and the like.

As to bike shorts fit... rarely do-able in one shot, but you might be lucky. You might find a pair that seems to fit just right in the shop, but reveals difficulties after 200km on a ride.

My personal favourites are Pearl Izumis. Even after 10 years (and I mean, I have pairs that are 10 years old or slightly younger), they are my go-to shorts for randonnees. I have other shorts that fit OK, but which become problematic after around 100 miles.

What I am illustrating here is that once you find a brand and model that fits, stick with them. And buy up a few more than you think you need because inevitably, someone at the company decides to make changes to the chamois design, so you might end up back at square one.