Old 04-24-16, 09:54 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SBcycling
""Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.""

^ above, the BikeForums section description for Commuting, one of the simple statements - combined with many others across the web - that really made me think, yeah I'm giving this cycling a serious try.

I own a car, which I've spent a lot of money on. And I will always probably own it. Being unemployed and soon to be a student, I don't have the same kind of money to throw to the car. Thankfully, I've been able to keep it well serviced and do some big repairs and replacements due to my sheer amount of free time until September. It's now got every investment I can do to it and the focus will turn to cycling.

To me, cycling means the following;-
- Freedom
- Fitness
- Making my car last longer
- Making my money last longer
- Keeping stress levels down
- Enjoying the scenery where I live

My last ride seemed to have put me off just a tad, however, I will explain below, but feel free to take a look on Strava to see all the statistics for yourself: https://www.strava.com/activities/551455319

I decided to cycle into a friend. This is from a rural village to the city nearest to where I live, 8.8 miles as Strava will show you. I've done it a few times before, it took around 50minutes give or take - and each time I've been cautious of preserving my energy, trying to keep a steady pace and not 'push it'.

That attempt was my slowest yet. Over an hour. The wind was just NOT on my side, I was pushing against is and it was such a terrible draining feeling. Despite being a sunny, beautiful evening the wind was against me. I've rode it in heavy brief rain and dull days the first few times which surprisingly doesn't seem as bad in hindsight. It was like I struggled to keep my steady pace, I was up and down the gears terrible. Some other, better cyclists overtook me not even trying - I didn't mind, but it made me think damn I'm doing something wrong.

It left me feeling: "Oh I'm glad I own a car, looks like that'll be my only way doing a this distance from now on" which I know honestly isn't a good view to have, it's accepting the struggle and a defeat to the car / lazy lifestyle :-/

Two days later, I spent the day washing the car, now I'm sick of looking at IT and found myself wanting my bike again! Not so put off as I was the other day, but still, that draining wind-facing reality of my cycle is making me a bit less willing to go out again. Any suggestions / criticisms?

I've been brutally honest here about my first experiences with commuting and just want to know how some of you long time fellow commuters got over / what you have to say about this experience.
I have been cycle commuting, on and off, for ten years, and I still have days like the one you describe...lol. And, believe me, not a day goes by that I say to myself, "Gee, I wish I didn't own a car."

My commute is pretty far, 50 miles round trip. So, I can always lean on that as an excuse. But, even that is just a cop-out. After all, 50 miles R/T just means two easy, little 25 mile rides. And, 25 miles is nothing....until, that is, you try doing it twice a day, every day.

The biggest challenge, by far, is weather, And, the worst component of it is wind. 10 mph wind at your back is heaven. 10 mph wind in your face is hell. An hour spent pedaling into gusts approaching 20 mph is almost unbearable, at least it is if you're trying to move at a reasonable speed.

Many days I come home after battling strong headwinds swearing I will drive tomorrow. And, often I do just that. But, give me a few days rest, and I hear the bike calling me again. And, thus, another cycle begins.