View Single Post
Old 04-25-16, 07:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
On Friday, when I got off the train, it was not raining. After I walked out of the station, walking across the parking lot to my bike locker, I felt a few drops. As I turned my bike onto the road home, it started raining.

A quarter mile later, I felt a blast of tailwind and the deluge began. But it didn't last long; I felt a blast of headwind, and I rode out onto dry pavement, where it wasn't raining. Nice!

A half mile later, I felt another blast of tailwind and suddenly I was in the heaviest downpour I've seen in years. Within a hundred yards, I was so wet I couldn't have gotten any wetter by jumping into a lake. I rode through that storm, thunder and lightning all around me, for about a mile. Then, as suddenly as it had begun, I rode out of it again. Dry pavement. It was dry the whole rest of the way home (3 miles or so) but I was still drenched when I got there. My wife looked at me and said "what happened to you?" The rain never did catch up with me.