ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
As NoOneMad mentioned, a bike and a trailer would do the trick. Of course, if you have the six and a half grand to go in style, why not?
I need to be fast. 5+ miles less than 30min with load.

Originally Posted by Rowan
A touring cyclist would carry that sort of load all the time.

You say that you commute by bike 95% of the time, but what are the realistic additional duties you think you need such an expensive freight-style bike for? And what sort of emergency are you talking about?

I spent over a decade without owning a motor vehicle, and used my touring bike as my packhorse, and when that wasn't sufficient, I used a trailer of one sort or another to lug around larger (or should I say) bulkier loads over terrain that, judging from what I have seen of Portland, was steeper... and I didn't use power assist.

On your doorstep is Bike Friday, and they have a design that is intended for heavy-duty use. Look them up and see if that bike meet your needs. I don't have a clue on cost, though.

If you are starting from a base with no driving licence, and you've listed the costs, even with the $6,000 bike, you seem to be leaning towards a more expensive proposition in the motor vehicle.
I will check out Bike Friday.

Originally Posted by cooker
I's a good idea to learn to drive, even if you don't buy a car. That way you can rent a car or a truck on rare occasions. That's humungously cheaper than owning a motor vehicle you only rarely use.

BTW - what bike do you have now?
I do plan on learning to drive, that's for sure.

I have two bikes a Fuji silhouette and a BD SST AL. The fuji isn't in its best condition to carry or pull a load, no way in hell I am pulling a trailer with the SST AL.
I was riding the SST AL with the pack on my back, that is until I realized people think I am probably a homeless person and get stuff thrown at me, yelled at, even cut off all from motorists. Yes, I am following all the rules of the road! I bought a new phone so I can call 911 faster to report those people but I just didn't feel safe and right now I am using the bus to get around with my pack. (I hate it!!!) Having trailer was an idea, but as I typed this I realized I probably will get the same reactions from motorists.