canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
How does it attach to your helmet? I'm looking for a replacement for my Blackburn Fleas, which Blackburn quit making.
I'll try to attach some photos. The headlight (an Illuminati as sold by Vivo-Bike) and rubber band are fastened via a screw, which could be removed if you prefer another mounting method, such as heavy duty Velcro -- which could work better for skater/commuter type helmets without the road helmet type elongated vents. The light isn't nearly as big as it appears here -- that's distortion due to proximity with a wide angle lens. The entire light (minus rubber band) is roughly the size of a Bic lighter, and possibly a bit lighter in weight.

The attached rubber band has just the right tension and give to work with a typical road helmet, and most handlebars. No damage or deformation to the helmet.

At the other extreme, the rubber band/clamp mechanism that came with my Serfas SL-255 would probably deform or crush the styrofoam padding in my helmet. The Serfas clamp is very stout, not as stretchy, and probably best suited to handlebars.

And here's the Blackburn 2'Fer attached to the rear of the helmet. I've also used the detachable rubber band included with the light, but it's easier to center it with my own homebrewed Velcro strap laced through the vents. I've used it this way for a few months, no problems. It's also smaller and more lightweight than it may appear here.

Both have held very securely, including through three minor crashes. No apparent head impact, all three were at under 5 mph on a local MUP while dodging speeding racerboy cyclists hogging the center of the path, or kids, dogs, errant joggers rendered deaf by music, etc. Each time I caught myself and rolled onto my back. But the lights held on so I'm satisfied they're secure enough for most purposes.