Old 04-25-16, 02:28 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Pastorbob - can you come up with any narrative of the "why" of why that was done to the stops? Are their different downtube boss standards, as in Campagnolo downtube shifters not working on the same bosses as Suntour, Shimano, etc.? The strange thing is that wouldn't even make sense since the bike was being used with Campy 10sp Ergolevers. The question is now, what do I do? When I repaint this how do I approach the putty/epoxy mess. I don't think you can powder coat non-metal. What happens to the Play-Dough when it goes through the curing oven? What a mess.

As for your thoughts on wheel size, yep been there done that.

Quick synopsis:
I don't know, but the originals were attached to a post that went through the frame I think. I worked at a C'Dale dealer and we always have a couple in stock because every once in a while someone would come in looking for them. Can't speculate why someone would do what they did to your frame, but my guess is they didn't have the bolt on cable stops to go over the DT shifter "braze-ons" (for lack of a better term).

Re: your synopsis. I am thankful that I am just under 6'4", the largest frames work pretty well for me (61/62). I quickly learned that old touring frames are a waste of time for me, but a regular lugged road bike is okay for casual riding, but when it comes to dropping the hammer they just don't cut it. I like new steel and am lucky to have found an inexpensive 61cm TIG welded steel frame that is reasonably stiff and light that I can sprint on. I also know 1" headtubes suck, period. Sure they look nice on all those old bikes, but I'll take 1-1/8" threadless any day. I am also very happy that 29ers remain in most MTB company line ups and they are making trail and all mountain models and not just cross country. My XXL rocky mountain instinct is a great bike for me, I tired 27.5 and the hype is all hype, felt pretty damn much like a 26" MTB.