Old 04-27-16, 09:16 PM
SplitTimer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giordana Antares road bike - best sales strategy?

Hi All - I'm new here, but I'm hoping to find some good advice on how best to research my nearly 30 yr old Giordana Antares road bike, and ultimately find out where I can post it for sale and find a good buyer for it!

I purchased this new from a custom bike dealer somewhere about 1987-ish. I don't have any original paperwork anymore, but I do know I paid somewhere around $2500 at the time which seemed pretty crazy $ to spend on a bike! Being a young competitive runner and biker, I used it for a few Duathlons and road Time-trials and also a few century rides too. I'm guessing it went up to hang in my garage about 1994 and its been collecting dust ever since then! (you know how it goes... priorities change... marriage, kids etc).

Here's what I know about it for sure: It's got Columbus tubing, Shimano 600 components, Scott aero handlebars, and a beautiful paint job! A good friend of mine (who knows more about bikes that I do) says my frame might be an early frame built by Dario Pegoretti. That would be nice for resale value if its true, but is there anyway to find out for sure?

And since this bike is covered in several years of dust, I'd like to get some good sales advise: Would it better to invest $xxx to have it tuned up (overhauled?) and sell it for a higher price, or, would it be just as good to sell it "as is" and let a new owner do the fix-up and clean-up? (presuming I'd sell it at a lower price). I'm not sure how much it would cost to have a bike shop look it over and fix it up? Any ideas? A loooong time ago I did most of my own maintenance but that's not going to happen anymore. It would definitely need new tires among a few other things.

Here are a few pictures. Would appreciate anyone's advice on how to determine value, and where to post for best sales chances! Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giordana1.jpg (98.8 KB, 132 views)
Giordana2.jpg (100.7 KB, 132 views)
Giordana3.jpg (102.5 KB, 131 views)
Giordana4.jpg (102.0 KB, 135 views)